Flight 370: The news no-one wanted to hear

Original story from The Daily Mercury, March 25th, 2014

THE missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 came down in the middle of the Indian Ocean and it is “beyond doubt” that there were no survivors, the Malaysian government says.

Speaking at an emergency press conference called in Malaysia early Tuesday, Prime Minister Najib Razak said: “Based on new analysis we have concluded [the jet] flew along southern corridor and that its last position was in the middle of Indian Ocean west of Perth.

“This is a remote location far from any possible landing site.

“It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform that in accordance with this new data Flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean.”

Moments earlier, officials from Malaysia Airlines sent an SMS text message to the families of the passengers on board when the plane was lost which said: “We must now accept all evidence suggests the plane went down in the Southern Indian Ocean”.

“Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume beyond any reasonable doubt that MH370 has been lost and that none of those on board survived,” the message read.

Mr Najib said he had been briefed by representatives from the UK Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB), which informed him that satellite data from the UK company Inmarsat, using techniques “never before used in an investigation of this sort”, revealed the final position of the plane.

“Malaysia Airlines has already spoken to the family of the passengers and crew to inform them of this development,” Mr Najib said.

“For them the past few weeks have been heartbreaking. I know this news must be hard as well.”

Read more here

Leave a Reply